Friday, April 10, 2015

PILOTS FLIGHT LOG

Also know as: Flight Log, Log Book , Drone Pilot Log, etc. It's used to keep a permanent written record of your flight time. There are multiple entries. I use this one for drone flying: 

 

  PILOTS FLIGHT LOG

 

The entries are: 

Date, Flight #, Drone info (model), Flight location (where you flew), Flight Conditions (weather, etc), Operational Issues (problems & situations), Remarks & Comments (anything else), Piloting Time ( time in, time out, total time).

 

The entries run from left to right. The in/out times are added to produce the total time. The total time is added in column format to get the page total. The page total is added to the previous page's total.

 

Do you need a Flight Log? Well, yes and no. 

 

The FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) says,  if you are a pilot (PIC - Pilot in Command) flying any airplane at any time (even as a student), you WILL keep a flight log. 

 

But, they also disregard any "RC modelers" who fly model aircraft and/or drones, because they are NOT actually seated in the cockpit :)

 

If you are NOT going to charge money for your flying, you do NOT legally need flight log. If you DO plan on eventually charging money, the FAA will REQUIRE you to produce your log book(s) on demand.

 

Should you start using a log book now? Yes, I think you should. I predict that in the very near future, the FAA WILL require log books for drone pilots. 

 

It's a way to control and keep track of people. And control for drones is a big concern - no pun intended :). 

 

Expect it - it will happen.

 

In any event, it's a good idea. I can look back and tell you how many different drones I've flown and when the motor of my first drone died. I can tell you if most of my flying was during windy conditions - it was. I can show my total hours flight time. It's all there.

 

What about verification? Who's to say I just didn't make it all up?  I could have. If I ask the FAA for a waiver to fly comercially, they might say, "You'll need a flight check". 

 

I'd be screwed if I actually hadn't flown the hours I said I did. Don't mess with the FAA. Keep accurate logs.

 

The FAA rules are currently in a state of flux. They change almost daily. I believe log books for ALL drone pilots could happen. In fact, I'm betting on it. So should you.

 

One more thing. Remember that any entry can be read by anybody at any time. If you log "that flight", you know, the one where you took your Phantom 2 up to 800' AGL (Above The Ground) ?  

 

"Oh, yeah. That was killer!" 

 

Well, you just documented a crime in the eyes of the FAA. Maximum flight height for a drone is 400 feet AGL, or 200 feet AGL commercial usage or slightly higher with a waiver.

 

Don't log the evidence :) 

 

KEEP ON FLYING!



 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment