Saturday, April 18, 2015

UDI-U818A MODIFICATIONS Part 3




 



Now the coax is grounded and the shielding of the coax acts like a "pipe carrying water" and on the 31.25 mm tip is the only part that is "active". I tested it - works fine. This is delicate work and requires some skill at locating the ground, etc. If you need a more detailed description of what's done, go here:


I removed the old antenna cover and slightly enlarged the hole so the new antenna would fit. I superglued (GEL) the jack to the front half of the transmitters case. Then screwed on the other half and let it set up overnight.

5) RE-WRAPPING WIRING
I wrapped the motor and led wires around the closest motor support rod. This put the wires away from the receivers antenna. I did a test: stock - no wrap and wrapped.

The drone files approximately 1 minute longer with wrapped wires. Not sure why - I only wrapped to make it neater and protect the loose wires.

6) CHANGING ROTORS
Tools needed: #0 Phillips screwdriver. About $2.00 - $3.00 or so. I got mine free when I bough the UDI U818A. Remove screw holding rotor to shaft. See picture.



Be careful NOT to loose the screw. It's really small. Holding the motor casing, pull the old, bent rotor off. Match it to the replacement rotor.

UDI rotors are black or white. Left and right  hand turning (CW and CCW). Make sure the old and new rotor match. Install the new one aligning the motor's D-shaped shaft with the rotors D-shaped opening.

Push down as far as it will go. Re-insert the screw. Do NOT over tighten. Put the drone on ground.

VERY slowly increase throttle until drone lifts off the ground. If it does, you changed the rotor properly. If it flips over, you installed the wrong rotor. Try again.

Is ok? Toss old rotor in the trash and order some more. Your need them. So it was only bent a little? Why change it? It's near impossible to reshape it the same way as it was made. The rotor will vibrate or loose lift. Best bet - replace it and toss the old one.

7) When I did the antenna mod, I removed the flip button, Why? The MODE button is below the FLIP button. I don't do flips. I have enough trouble flying the thing :)

And I don't take my eyes off the drone while flying so I can't look for the MODE button. Hence, the button is a hazard for me. Easy to remove and keep. Problem solved.

KEEP ON FLYING!

No comments:

Post a Comment